Crime prevention methods to reduce car burglaries include:
1. LOCK DOORS & CLOSE WINDOWS:Don’t make it easy for a burglar to steal your property.
2. DON"T ADVERTISE VALUABLES: Playing the stereo so loud it can be easily heard outside the car is a violation of a city ordinance and could lead to a citation, but it is also an advertisement to a burglar that you have a desirable stereo system
3. REMOVE VALUABLES FROM VEHICLE: Remove the GPS, school books, iPods, cell phones, and purses. If valuable items aren’t visible, a burglar may avoid your vehicle. Never leave keys in a vehicle.
4. PROTECT YOUR STEREO:Remove the detachable face of the car stereo, if the stereo comes equipped with that safety device. If your car has an after-market stereo in it, write down the stereo's serial number and keep it in a safe place.
5. PARK IN LIGHTED AREAS: The best place is where a lot of people are walking around. Parking in the back of a building where no one walks can give a burglar an opportunity to break into a vehicle without being noticed.
These crime prevention techniques are not foolproof, but can reduce the risk of victimization.
The police department seeks assistance from the public to help prevent crimes. Be alert and observant. If you suspect criminal activity, record a vehicle license plate number or information about the vehicle such as make, model, color, damage or stickers. Also look for clothing, scars or tattoos on people. Information about a person of interest or the vehicle he or she is driving can assist in the apprehension of burglars.
If you see something suspicious, please call the police. Never try to handle it yourself. Call the Belton Police Department at 254-933-5840 to report anything suspicious.